GO ABROAD WITH A GEORGETOWN PROFESSOR EARN CREDIT TOWARD YOUR DEGREE
Join us in Florence and Fiesole to continue your language studies in the “birthplace” of the Italian language. You will be fully immersed not only in the language but also in the culture. While classes will be held daily at Villa Le Balze, you will live with a local Italian host family for the duration of the 5-week program. You’ll step outside of the traditional classroom setting and accelerate your learning through excursions and events with local Florentines throughout the city.
What the program includes
- 55+ hours of in-class instruction with Georgetown faculty
- Accommodation in the home of an Italian family in Fiesole
- Breakfast and dinner with host family and lunch at the Villa (Monday thru Friday). Dinner with host family on Sunday evenings
- A monthly bus pass for travel in Fiesole and Florence
- Fieldtrips: San Lorenzo market / The Accademia in Florence to see Michelangelo’s David / Cappella Brancacci and Chiesa del Carmine / The Monastery of Saint Francis in Fiesole (lesson in town) / The Servite Monastery of Monte Senario and Villa Demidoff (lesson in the park)
- 90 minute Cooking class with the Scuola di Cucina Lorenzo de' Medici
- Daytrips: Bologna with lecture on the topic of Immigration in Italy by Maria Acierno (Supreme Court Magistrate) / Siena with guided tour by Professor Elena Brizio (Georgetown in Fiesole)
- Lectures: Professor Chiara Tognolotti (Università degli Studi di Firenze) on Food in Italian Cinema / Professor Chiara Milan (European University Institute, Fiesole) on the Environment and the European Union
- Tentative: Students will also collaborate with the Fiesole Town Council to do interviews for the Faces in Fiesole project
There are a variety of financial resources available for students participating on Georgetown summer study abroad programs.
- Financial Aid: Eligible students enrolled in at least 6 credits for the summer session may apply for grants and loans that may be applied to summer study abroad programs. Contact the Office of Student Financial Services to learn more about financial aid for summer abroad.
- OGE Summer Scholarships: The Office of Global Education awards scholarships on a competitive basis to Georgetown students to study abroad on summer programs. Awards range from $500 to $2,000, and are awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need.
- External Grants and Awards: There are many other external sources of funding available to support your summer study abroad experience. As always, advance planning will ensure that you take advantage of all of the opportunities available to you. To start, visit studyabroad.georgetown.edu/funding, or speak to an advisor at the Office of Global Education today!
Georgetown welcomes participation in this course from all qualified university students (non-Georgetown students are welcome), teachers, and professionals. The course may be taken for graduate as well as undergraduate credit.
- Minimum 2.7 GPA
- Good academic and disciplinary standing
- Completed ITAL-032 Intensive Intermediate Italian or its equivalent