Students with no previous Italian language coursework should preregister for:
ITAL-011 Intensive Basic Italian.
Students with previous experience in Italian who have taken the SAT II can determine their level as follows:
- 200-470 ITAL-011 Intensive Basic Italian
- 480-600 ITAL-032 Intensive Intermediate Italian
- 610-670 ITAL-111 Intensive Advanced Italian I
- 680-730 ITAL-112 Intensive Advanced Italian II
- 740-800 ITAL-231 Contemporary Italy or ITAL-233 Writing & Culture.
All students with previous experience in Italian who have NOT taken the SAT II should take the online placement exam during the summer to determine the appropriate level for purposes of course enrollment and preregister accordingly. The online exam will be available from June 24 through July 29.
Placing out of the foreign language requirement:
Students who are seeking to place out of the College’s foreign language requirement in Italian and who DO NOT intend to continue their study of Italian at Georgetown should first take the online placement exam over the summer. Students who place into ITAL-111 Intensive Advanced Italian I or higher on the online exam will be required to sit for a follow-up exam during NSO in order to confirm that they have placed out of the language requirement. The Italian department will contact these students in advance of NSO in order to arrange the examination.
Confirming AP credit:
Students who have taken both the AP exam and the SAT II exam: students with a score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam and an SAT II score of 680-730 will receive 5 credits for ITAL-111; students with a score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam and a score of 740 or higher will receive 10 credits for ITAL-111 and 112. These students are not required to take either the online placement exam or a confirmation exam during NSO.
Students seeking to confirm AP credit in Italian who have NOT taken the SAT II should take the online placement exam over the summer. Students who place into Advanced Italian II or higher on the online exam will be required to sit for a follow-up exam during NSO in order to confirm their AP credit.
How to take the online placement exam:
In order to take the language placement exam, you must enroll in its Blackboard site.
- Go to Georgetown University’s Blackboard login page at campus.georgetown.edu.
- Log in using your NetID and NetID password. Note: If you need help with your NetID, contact the UIS Service Center at 202-687-4949.
- After logging in, click the ”courses” link (in the top blue graphic).
- In the ”course search” box, type placement and click “go.”
- Place your mouse over the name of the language placement exam you need to take, click the arrow, and click “enroll.”.
- Confirm your enrollment by clicking the “submit” button.
- Click the “OK” button to enter the placement exam site.
- Follow the instructions on the placement exam site to take the exam.
Make sure that you have a reliable Internet connection. Set aside ample quiet time before you begin the exam so that you can complete it in one sitting; you will not be able to stop and restart once the exam has launched.
Close other programs running on the computer. Avoid distractions; focus only on the exam until it is completed.
To begin the exam, click the link only once. It may take some time for the exam to load; give it at least one full minute. If, after clicking once, nothing happens for over a minute, contact the UIS Service Center as soon as possible. Do not click the link multiple times: if you do, you will see a message stating that you have already taken the exam and you will not be able to access it again.
Do not use the Back and Forward buttons in your browser to move around within the exam. Use the links and buttons in the exam pages to proceed.
Do not click the final Save and “submit” button until you are completely finished with the exam.
If you encounter a problem or a technical difficulty that prevents you from finishing the exam, contact the UIS Service Center as soon as possible.