Recognized as one of the premier programs of Italian in the country, our department fosters a caring atmosphere and provides students with individual attention.
Our faculty includes renowned scholars who have authored ground- breaking publications and have received prestigious fellowships and awards. Their excellence in research and passion for teaching guide students in the pursuit of their scholarly and professional goals.
Our strategic location in the nation’s capital and our relationship with the cultural institution guarantee a wide array of opportunities for personal and intellectual growth.
- A Major – 10 to 12 courses in Italian language, literature and culture.
- A Minor – 6 courses in Italian language, literature and culture.
- A Master of Arts – Three specialization options that include a semester at an Italian university, revolve around a common core curriculum, and culminate in a writing seminar and a Master’s thesis.
- Study Abroad – direct matriculation at the University of Florence, Università Bocconi (Milan).
From Basic Italian to the capstone Senior Seminar, our courses lead students to the discovery of Italy’s rich cultural heritage.
Sample Offering Include:
- Dante and the Medieval Mind
- Boccaccio and the Art of Storytelling
- Renaissance Theater, Politics, and Art
- Sex and Politics in Theater and Cinema
- Italy and the Idea of Europe
- Bella Ciao! Italian Women’s Identities
- Italian and Its Regional Varieties
- Italian Americans: Language and Culture
- Identity and Resistance in Fascist Italy
- The Betrayals of Translation
- Business Italian
- Mafia: Reality and Fiction