Study Abroad

While Italian majors are required to study in Italy, all students are encouraged to explore this opportunity to live and study in Italy, the country with the highest number of Unesco World Heritage Sites.

There are 4 main categories of abroad programs in Italy that are distinguished by type of coursework or program structure.

DIRECT MATRICULATION: In this type of program, before departure, students must have completed at least Advanced II Italian at Georgetown. Classes are taken at a host university and students are directly enrolled alongside native Italian students. 

The coursework consists of 4-5 classes taught in Italian and sometimes a seminar as in the case of the Brown in Bologna Program. Program length can be Full Year, Semester, or Split-Year.

Bologna: Brown University in Bologna (Università di Bologna)

Florence: Middlebury School in Italy (Università degli Studi di Firenze)

Milan: Italy Today (IES) at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore and Business Studies (IES) at Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi

AREA STUDIES: In this type of program, courses are offered in English and Italian. These programs are more specialized in one particular course of study such as the Classics or Music.

Milan: Music: Tradition & Innovation  (IES)

Rome: Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies (ICCS)

LANGUAGE PROGRAMS: These programs are intensive language immersion courses that expand on the basic or intermediate level of language. The course load is usually a 6 credit IES intensive language course, elective courses at IES center and 1 or 2 classes at a local university.

Milan: Italy Today (IES) Intensive  Language Program

Fiesole: VILLA LE BALZE: This is a Living and Learning Community where courses are led by Georgetown professors, and the facilities run by Georgetown University. Students can choose to live at the Villa or to do a homestay to help immerse themselves further in the language and culture.

Hear what Elizabeth McKee has to say about her homestay experience in Fiesole.

Explore these and other programs on the Office of Global Education website. 

Note that only courses conducted in Italian are eligible for credit toward your Italian major or minor.